2011년 8월 31일 수요일

Young Jodessi, STEV to the E




     Writing is not the field I am proud of, and even something I almost hate. Especially when it comes to academic writing, I myself feel like being a machine writing answers that are already in everyone's brains. Academic writing, a stupid thing to write-that is what I honestly think. Of course there can be some creative ideas in those writings, but I felt mostly Academic writings require us something machines should be doing, and something that has no value at all. Writing in formats and not expressing biased ideas(especially in newspaper articles) are not something humans should do, it is something for machines. Humans, who have emotions and creativity should be able to express themselves on their writings! Academic writing, however, always requires writers to write something that has an answer. Also, the academic writings mostly require the students like me to write about obvious ideas. For example, for an essay about death penalty the reasons and examples are already there for the writers to choose and write about. They are so overused and why should one write those things down again?
     This is what I briefly think about academic writing. Some academic writings may have fascinating and creative ideas, but for me, I didn't got that opportunity yet and so I just thought it this way. Therefore for this class, I hope to change my opinion about academic writing or if what I have been thinking was right then do some creative stuff instead of those writings.
     I hope there's no misunderstanding: I agree with the idea that "clear and concise" sentences are much more effective  delivering what it means to the readers and academic writing skills are therefore something very important. I am just confused: academic writings, something so obvious and not creative at all, seems much less important to me than other creative writings.


     My writing style, as I revealed frankly, is not something most teachers like. I like long, gaudy sentences. It doesn't mean I like wordy and meaningless adjective clauses. It means I like fascinating adjectives that can describe the situation or one's emotions very well. For example, for an academic writing one should write "the Nazis", not "the terrifying Nazis" even when one wanted to express how Anne was terrified by the Nazis. However, if I get to learn why I should be rather writing short sentences, I will definitely change my style.
     My weakness, is that since I like emotions into writings, it is hard for me to write "clear and concise" sentences. 'Good' writers always comment on people to get rid of adjectives as much as possible, and, if I believe them to be good writers, that part is fatal for me. Plus, I have a very small variety of words in my head to use for writing: it sometimes bothers me to write what I want to. I really need to study more vocabularies.
     The strength, if I grade myself, would be writing specifically. I mostly write something for small parts, allowing the reader to understand better than just reading a broad sentences. Mentioned in the previous paragraph I use a lot of adjectives which hopefully allows the readers to understand the piece better. I didn't mean I never write vague sentences: actually I do a lot and that is what I have to work on too.         


     Anyway, what I think the best piece of writing in English was an essay about whether the military secrets should be allowed to be spoken in public or not. It was supposed to be an academic essay, but I used up a whole paragraph about why freedom is more important than security-at least for some people like me. I gave examples of birds trying to escape their cages, and all those novels and people throughout history who abandoned their lives for people's rights. The paragraph also had Socrates' ideas-Socrates chose to die though he could have lived, and he explains his friend at the last moment that his choice was made because he couldn't trade his life with doing something wrong. The teacher had her comments to this part, that she understood what I wanted to say, but I had to shorten it. Anyway that essay was written by hand and I couldn't post it, but I think that was my best piece written in English till now. It is because that was the essay I wrote with so much passion!
      My goal is: I want to improve my sentences-want to write 'clear and concise' sentences and know why is that important if there are beautiful words that can describe the situation much better-, learn a lot of useful new vocabularies and be able to use them. 
      So, overall what I wanted to say was: I am not good at writing, and I am very eager to learn!




댓글 1개:

  1. Hi Sol,

    Very unique name you have - short and yet interesting: ) Anyways, I sympathize with your frustrations. I felt the same way when I was young, and I hat to telly you this, but - it gets worse - much worse when you get to university. Rules and regurgiation, you'll be reading a lot of academic writing and forcing yourself to write it (while staying awake). That said, I think you're being a little bit harsh and seeing things as either black or white. Even if we write academically, if we're a good writer we will find ways to be creative so the reader doens't fall asleep. Take Bill Bryson and "A Short History of Nearly Everything." It's a huge book and it's very academic, but it's also fun to read. Bill wanted to be rich, so he wrote to entertain and educate at the same time. Hopefully, you'll find opportunity to write creative and academically at the same time this semester, and you may not even know it:).

    I can see from your high word count (over 800) and your sentence flow that ideas and writing come fast and easily to you. I also see with that flow you do tend to make some grammatical mistakes, many of which you'll catch after a re-read. I think it's better for students to develop flow without hesitation instead of stopping to rewrite, so I think you're on the right track.

    Good work:)

    답글삭제